Monday, May 17, 2010

Forgotten

Today I drove home and walked into a cranky household, the 2 yr old hasnt napped. Wonderful.
The phone rings and Lucy called to babysit, she misses him. She hasnt spent time with him in days. I warned her about the gremlin and she said she was on the way, and so I waited. (This isnt where I get forgotten)
An hour later, the living room is turned upside down, there is milk oozing out of a blue guitar, and there is a streaker in the house. I chase him down and after wrestling and putting together a diaper, hoping it doesnt fall off or cause for easy access to a trail of urine. (Puddles are known to appear here and there, when you least expect it of course.) Lucy knocks on the door, the dog and the 8 yr old run sprint for the door, barking and yelling, the baby in tow. It's Lucy, an hour late but at least she made it. She trips over the playskool red sit and spin, and leaps over the worm tunnel that the baby enjoys to hide and poop in. She brings dinner into the kitchen, I realize that the portion will cause a small war in the late night between the two eldest boys who will fight over a home cooked meal. I taste the chicken and it is delish, the best I have had.
I continue to wash dishes and Lucy announces she needs cigarettes. She just walked through the door. I asked her why didnt she get them before coming over and she said that she got a phone call to come now because the baby is ready to sleep, basically Guano (mother in law) called Lucy and told her to hurry he was going to pass out now. Not at all true, he was too busy doing what he does best. Not sleeping. She says she has to go and needs help with the baby, reading between the lines, I offer to ride with her. After bundling the gremlin in the car, Lucy drops me off at her house with the baby. I just shut my mouth, because I dont know how to ask, why are you taking me to your house to babysit the child you picked up from my house to babysit, I figured this is just part of my twilight zone life, I must be missing something.
She gets her newports, comes back and says ok, you can go. I sit and wait, Marla and Carla (sisters) are watching TV and I dont want to bother them at all, not their kid, not their problem. So I go back into the bedroom, Lucy is bathing the baby, mintes later I walk in and she is folding laundry, she is busy. I tell her I have to leave, she asks me if the baby misplaced the remote. Then says, go, go, he wont even know you are gone. I leave to wait for her, she is surely going to put on Yo Gabba Gabba to entertain him while she drives me home.
I think to myself, Why am I here, I left an 8 yr old and house in shambles to babysit for my babysitter, I sit in Lucy's living room waiting for her to take me home, 1/2 hr goes by, and I text Carla "Why am I here, should I walk home?" No response. I already asked Lucy, she didnt hear what I said. You dont ask Lucy anything and make her flustered, because then you are faced with Satan.
Suddenly Carla dashes by to ask Lucy why I am here, Lucy says "Oh she can go, he will be fine." And then came the words I didnt know how to say "You drove her here, she has no car." Lucy's face drained in color. "I forgot." were the only words she could muster, I was immediatey struck with total empathy, because in that moment, I realized she did forget, as I sat and waited for her, she thought I drove home (in my spaceship or somthing from the jetsons, like that tube in the bank that carries your money to the teller). Carla grabbed her purse "Lets go!" I followed because Carla was in no mood and I already imposed indirectly by making her drive me in pajamas not meant for public viewing, she drove me home.
Next time I walk, no one would have ever known the differnce. People only see what they want to see. And they see right past you and through you, you are indispensible in a moment. The second Lucy had her cigarettes and her baby boy, she just forgot about the person she needed to obtain those things. So that is how I was forgotten. It happens, not the first time, not the last. Lets see what adventures are waiting for me tommorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment