Saturday, July 17, 2010

Trip to Carvel

Ever since Friday, my car has been leaking, from the inside. I drove out to have a break and the area behind the glove compartment is leaking on the floor. When I make a hard turn, there is the sound of the ocean in my engine, the swish is a happy sound to me. Although the fact that the sound is coming from the engine is not good.
I head home and tell Bob the Builder, knowing that he can't do much. He goes out to the car and removes the glove compartment, I have a Yaris and this act is more like removing a lego piece, than how complex it sounds. He looks at this plastic part. "What is this?"
"White plastic." I reply.
He gets out of the car and opens the hood, goes back inside, as he found nothing, and when he did open the hood, he looked at the engine as though he was looking at an expensive Rembrant piece, staring and examining but not sure of what the hell he was looking at.
"Have you let anyone borrow the car?"
"No."
He pulls out the Toyota book and opens a door to the air condition white plastic piece, looks at the book again.
"You don't have an air filter, it's gone."
Well that doesn't sound good. He does off to the nearest car part store and puts an air filter into the car. The car is now leaking and making a horrible shaky sound. Something is definitely wrong. He installed the quick fix and somehow just made it worse.
How do you lose the air filter, I can only assume some idiot stole it, or the idiot owner somehow lost it during the oil change months ago, the noise and problems started after our cruise in April, maybe they stole it while parked during the cruise. This makes no sense really, how in gods name does an air filter dissappear. I should have known, but I only know how to drive the car, my expertise stops there, so does my husband's, by the way.
Come Saturday, the car smelled like a dirty laundry hamper, there is nothing I can do but air it out. Now we have to figure out how and when to fix the flea, calling my cousing Papo to check it out now on my to do list, since he is at the beach we decide to just wait till Monday.
The family decides to go out for ice cream. Simple. We all lug into the mother in law's car and head to Carvel, the choice is Dale Mabry or Sheldon, we decide Dale Mabry. On the way we each start to argue over what is better the milk shake or ice cream, I like malts and really don't care for ice cream, I am just in the car to spend time with everyone. None of us has any idea where the Carvel is, Tito is pulling it up on his GPS, we head north and are set to arrive in 2 miles.
Tito screams out "Next corner!" being my child after the turn the GPS is demanding we make a u turn, we took the wrong turn. A u-turn it is, we turn and continue, then we passed it, no Carvel sign in sight.
I am itching in the car, I twist and turn. On Friday after deciding to have a cigarette and sit on the sidewalk, I walked into the office and ran for the bathroom, finding two ants in my pants, yes, two and they bit my butt cheek, so as we look for the ice cream parlor I am scratching my ass and could car less about the Carvel place.
We drive slowly and find nothing.
"You do understand with my mom in the car, this place probably is closed." My little Tito, at 10 pm at night, he may just be right. My husband pulls over to do his own GPS, not trusting Tito's, even though they have the same cell phone.
I laugh, knowing he is right and the outcome is grim with me being in the car. He pulls up the address, 15009 Dale Mabry, we stroll around again, stopping at the stores with the address, "Well we are on the even side, so we are close." I say.
Then we pull up to 15009 Dale Mabry and find it vacant and empty, not even the signs for ice cream are up. The car stops and everyone is looking at me. I am on facebook, pretending nothing has happened. After a half hour drive to come up to a store that has closed seems like an impossible thing.
"Somehow, I do believe you had something to do with the closing of this establishment." My husband so eloquently puts it.
I look up and back down to my cell, really what the hell could I do, big deal it's closed. Move on.
We head out to McDonalds and have milk shakes, and McDonalds saves us.
I decided that I am not about to have any ice cream, instead I have the last of the Chivas, whiskey for me. I grab the bottle, scratch my ass and head outside for a cigarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment