Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth of July memories

The rain has not let up today, the thunder and lightening is missing. Just lots of rain. I am spending the fourth thinking and praying for the safety of our men overseas, especially Cody, my brother in law. Very proud to say that he is serving our country, Cody we miss you dearly and pray for your safe return. Hope you are doing well buddy.

Stacks of laundry fill the house this morning, Juno is digging away at the dirty clothes, sniffing through as I shoo him off the piles. This is how I am spending the 4th this year, hooray me.

I decided that the boys would enjoy some fireworks, I google the fireworks in the area, it's between channelside and legends field. Channelside at 9 am but I know that I will spend so much time getting there I may miss the festivities and the boys will be entertained by mommy screaming obscenities as she drives around in circles, I decide to go to legends field.

We leave the house and get gas, the car is on empty. The trip also includes a trip to Mc D's, we stop for a happy meal and value menu items, we park and I go to give mike d his fries, the poor thing is sleeping. He didn't nap and tested my limits today, between pulling off blinds from the windows to throwing whatever he found in the bathtub and also sitting in the bathtub playing with his toys, he has found a new play place, the problem is each time he goes in he gets himself and his toys soaked, the leaky faucet hasn't been fixed, it's been a year. Bob the builder hasn't tapped into my husband's mind, taking over to fix the little details in the bathroom, I have more faith in my cooking skills. Today I burned lunch, scrambled eggs, burned the chocolate chip cookies, and burned the toast. Tells you alot about my faith in mr fix it.

We sit in the parking lot waiting for fireworks, an hour went by. Diego is done, he wants to go home. I drive to legends field and ask a bystander for game status. I am told that the 2nd half just started, an hour left to go. I turn around and go home. Me and Diego pull the white trash lawn chairs into the drive way and sit and stare at the roman candles and other sky rockets. Each time one went off, my little diego would scream out "You've got to be kidding, CHEAP!" The fireworks were coming from the other street, he can scream all he wants for all I care. The rain starts to come down, I wonder if we are the two only fools sitting and staring at the empty sky in the drizzling rain. He wanted to badly to see fireworks and I let him down, I regret not going to channelside. We go inside to watch some nickelodeon.

In the years past, we would spend the holiday with bar b que's, and family. Usually at my house, the old one. I think we have evaded the news by the grace of God, we are the example that you need on what not to do. I wouldn't be surprised to see his name on a fireworks gone bad story. The parties were great, we would have food, beer, liquor and fireworks. The main show was my husband putting the fireworks up, many times this would go kaput. He would either light it up and it was a dud. Or he thought it was a dud and as he got closer, the damn thing would go off sending him running for the ditch. One particular year we had the whole family standing in front of the house, the roman candles were the big hit. He would set them off in empty beer bottles. In his infinite wisdom, he lit approximately ten back to back, with help from others. When he ran away, the first bottle fell, causing a domino effect, the only thing that I heard was "Oh shit run!!!" And bodies scattered everywhere, the roman candles one by one aimed to the front of the house, we were under attack, he was setting his own family under siege. Some of the rockets went under the cars, some between the house, a few right into the crowd. I ran between cars, and I don't remember if I laughed more than I should have, but I couldn't help it, and I never will let him live it down.
This is the most adventurous holiday I have ever had. With each whistle the rocket would come at us, whenever it missed us we would laugh in relief, waiting for the next one. He has burnt his scalp, his fingers, Diego once stepped on a lit ember from a sparkler causing screams that were heard through the house, the hallways and the outside. My little diego cries over most anything and a burn to the bottom of his foot was definitely a cause for mass hysteria. From then on we all wore shoes outside, I am not a big shoe fan, but when fireworks are involved I bite my tongue and leave the 7-11 feet for the day. I love britney dammit.

So we may not have seen our share of fireworks today, but we are still happy to live in a country where freedom is not a dream, and my family is healthy, safe and sound asleep. Today wasn't that bad, but we have next year. Happy fourth of July everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment