Monday, November 8, 2010

Daycare Evaluation

I drove to the daycare, it was like strutting through town in the donkeys as the Three Amigos, the directions by my mother were simple because they were too good to be true. We were searching for a center and should have been looking for a house. We drove passed and made a three way u-turn at a neighbors. Found it, just hoped she would not be scared away by any of the investigating squad.
The daycare owner was very nice and in her 40's, the room that held the class was small but enough space for the kids to run around, with her keeping an eye, making sure none escaped. She answered our questions, and when my mother in law would ask something, she would look to me to translate.
She was licensed and had a schedule, the children didn't need to necessarily follow the schedule, however most did.
She went over the daily agenda, she even cooked their lunch, homemade meals.
"All the children lay down at noon and nap until 2:30 pm, there is no exception."
She was very direct and seemed to have a handle on her class.
"And if they don't want to nap?" I had to ask, almost like a warning for her.
"He will nap, if not he can lay there until it's time to wake up." She didn't know what I was about to enroll into her little Indian tribe. A little Asian-Puerto Rican-Cuban toddler was just what she needed to shake things up, a mutiny was surely in her future, scalping included.
"I can assure you that he will behave, he will also include himself in all of the activities as well as act accordingly. It may take a couple of days, but it will happen." She was doubtless.
Was her last name Christ? I was ready to give her my Zephyrhills bottles from the trunk of the car to see what she could do with those. If she did turn them into wine, she would need them more than me.
She walked me and the investigative trio out to see the back, there was a wooden fence outside of a chain-link fence heading directly into a covered lanai with sun faded toys and plastic cars, abused and used as weapons by the finest toddlers of West Tampa. There was no way anyone could get over those fences, this place was like Alcatraz.
"I speak to the kids in Spanish, we have a little Russian girl and most children speak two languages." This was a plus, he would be at daycare and Spanish 1.
I looked to my mother who smiled from ear to ear, to my mother in law who shook her head vehemently to show me her disgust of the daycare center, her eyes were short straight slits, not that they were much different than usual, but her smile matched her eyes, she was not thrilled.
The daycare owner handed me the paperwork, I told her I would have to discuss the final decision with my husband and left with a smile.
The car ride back home was worse than a presidential debate, they bickered over the care, the antics of the mini-felon, who was at fault and who would take and pick him up, the more they argued the more they realized this was for the best. My mother threated to leave my mother in law at the daycare in the event she blocked this whole operation from being executed.
"I am sure she can add a little Korean girl to her class and complete her melting pot of children. You could dance and perform when I pick you up, like the dolls in the "It's a Small World" ride."
Before we made it home, my mother in law decided that she would pick him up, she didn't really leave my mother with a choice, my mother didn't battle this one out.
The deal was I drop him off in the morning at 7:15 am and mommy in law dearest would do the honor of picking up Mike D.
All I had to take was his cereal for the milk, diapers and a daily change of clothes, the prayers for the daycare owner would be recited on the way to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment