Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Good bye Cody



I told my mom my mother in law may be going to Korea, she is now going to try to talk her out of it, MIL's sister isn't doing too well, but my mother can't handle mike d, and asked me to look into daycare, knowing he may be kicked out by the end of his first day.
Yesterday she took mike d to my grandmother's and there was a fight underway with my 2 yr old and my grandfather, gramps gave him a cookie, he would crumble it to pieces, my grandfather would pick the crumbs up and give him another one, after 5 cookies they began shouting at each other and my mother lost her flip flop somewhere along the way. Then she told me she found the dvd's, all fourteen or so, he managed to shove them all between her mattress and springboard, then she went on about how he once again spilled the entire container of salt on the floor, while chasing poor London the wonder dog. Where was she when all of this was happening, if you contain the fire, it won't spread. Think woman, think.
Needless to say, he runs around in the way an escapee would at shutter island, then comes to the shack I call home and can't do too much damage. I wonder if my mother in law is leaving to go on a getaway from all of us, I would. Hauling her luggage shouting korean obscenities at us as she walks to the airport, I can see her now.
Leaving me to the challenge of the day, my brother in law cody is leaving to afganny tomorrow and I can't bring myself to tell him good-bye, I have known him for little over a year but my sister Nina is a different person because of him. He has come into her life and lightened up her world. The fact that he is leaving is devastating, we aren't military at all, the closest we get is when my grandmother spits at a picture or a pinata that resembles Fidel Castro. So this is not something we are familiar with.
Cody came into our lives out of nowhere. With a crew cut and a body full of bold tattoos, (Nina said "wanna see his cock?" and low and behold, there was a fucking cockadoodle doo rooster cartoon tattooed on his stomach, great ice breaker) we clung to him as we had never seen our Nina so happy and in love, she was different, this was her first boyfriend ever, and he was so different, so daring. He would walk into a room and she lit up like the glow sticks at a rave party. She met him at a party and they hit it off, next thing you know there was all kinds of sexcapades I only see in movies, she went from little Nina to the whore next door faster than Cinderella soliciting for stiletto pump glass slippers, well it's what she did isn't it, doing everything that we would never expect.
It was refreshing to see her like that. She grew up quick. Then came the news that rocked Columbia, she was getting married, he had little time, she had to answer and did so before he deployed, they thought he would leave sometime in December, problem was, they had only known each other for four months and there was nothing she could do but say yes or no, following her gut, and thinking with her heart, she accepted the proposal and they married October 2009, the ceremony only attended by immediate family, otherwise the beach would look like a hostile take over of Cubans that fell off their floaties coming into shore, there are about 90 of us, and when we get together it can be loud and confusing, if you close your eyes, it's like a really bad case of schizophrenia, all the voices drive you mad.
December came and went, but Cody didn't, they enjoyed their time together as newlyweds, they spent every moment glued at the hip. He liked watching TV army movies, and she would read or study. The time again came where he was going to be deployed, but now they are married, she is going to college and they were living with my sister Mara. The decision was made to move in with the man behind the moustache (my dad) and the toothless wonder (my mom, who just had 3 teeth extracted and is looking for a trailer, please DO NOT tell her I called her that, she is already devastated that she looks like a "homeless") and so now they are one big happy family, slamming doors, fighting over the laundry and pretty much avoiding each other at all costs. Family is entertaining. And now Cody is leaving, actually leaving, we never thought it would happen because of the first time, and we never thought the day would come so quick. I don't want to get all teary eyed, and I don't want to say good bye, instead we are going to plan something when he gets back, in January, so that we can welcome him with some kind of a trip to get him to unwind and relax. God Speed Cody Bear, we will pray for you and miss you everyday that you are gone.


2 comments:

  1. thanks so much! this was absolutely hilarious!

    and thanks to all who have been there and will be there thru this hard hard time. im gonna miss my codybear and when he says "shut your whore mouth woman" :) i love my airman - i got a sticker that says that on my car now, check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cody has been around the familia for a year, he can handle anything now! Drove away crying after saying goodbye and you made me start again with...not nice. :(

    ReplyDelete